Monday, May 2, 2011

And so the Op Eds Begin...

I've been following the Telegraph for a while through Blogger in order to attempt to get a point of view outside of America to influence the posts that appear on this blog from time to time. Most of the op eds I read in there recently have been decrying America for celebrating the death of Osama bin Laden, as I and many others reported on last night after hearing it from varying sources. A multitude of information has arrived since the declaration made by President Obama last night. Michelle Malkin gave an Op Ed column pointing out how the politicization of the event has already begun, and will likely continue into 2012. Legal Insurrection assures us all that "it's still the economy and big government, stupid.", in regards to Obama's reelection prospects, and points to a story that reveals that enhanced interrogations, in a gross irony that will likely haunt the now slightly cooler and more competent looking Obama later on, lead to the very information that allowed him to green light the use of Navy Seals to end his life. I guess he learned a thing or two after dealing with Somali pirates.

The Telegraph op eds, however, are running the gamut from "America did the right thing" to "America is freaking awesome" to "this isn't really as great as we all think it is". There are even those whom I know personally, and some who are complete strangers, admonishing those like me for celebrating the death of a notorious war criminal. Well, as one American who is lauding the operation that killed the most heinous terrorist this nation has ever seen, I can honestly say that I don't care whether I'm admonished for feeling the way I feel. I expressed all this in a note on Facebook, but I seem to still have a little resentment left over.

But this post isn't about me. In reading those several varying Op Eds from the Telegraph, I've come to the conclusion that, predictably, no one knows what is about to occur as a result of Osama bin Laden's long-overdue demise. And that, dear readers, is that we did the right thing. No one save the most avid peacemongers dare suggest that Osama didn't deserve the bullet between the eyes that ended his pathetic life.

Now, however, there are questions that need to be answered. Why was Osama so easily able, as is being reported, to hide out in a neighborhood so near the Pakistani capital? Was anyone giving him asylum for some reason? If so, then who? And more importantly, why?

The drama isn't over yet, boys and girls. As the song states: We've only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment