Tuesday, April 20, 2010

We Shall Overcome...

Never more than today have I believed those three words. Throughout my short 29 years on this planet as an American citizen,I have always admired the underdog. You know, the guy who no one thinks can win the big race/fight/contest or whatever, but ends up staging a huge come from behind victory? Yeah, that guy.

I have recently been having a bit of financial trouble, with the latest incident being having my credit card suspended due to a low credit score because, I admit, I was a complete moron with the money and wasn't able to pay it all back in a timely manner. Both my cards (I've only ever had two, and thank God for that) are unavailable for use, one being maxed out and the other having a 0$ spending limit. Needless to say, this had put me in a funk for quite a while.

In addition, because I was struggling to find a balance between spend and save in recent years, I've racked up my share of bank fees, which hindered my efforts to stay in the black as far as my savings and checking accounts go. Sometimes it was even necessary to PURPOSEFULLY go overdrawn just so I could pay a bill on time.

It's been a good three years now since I've had these troubles, and at long last, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. After cutting just about everything fun out of my spending, and living primarily off of Carnation Instant Breakfast and PBJ sandwiches, I've managed to reduce my own personal debt and deficit to negative fiftysome dollars. I don't know the exact amount, but just seeing a two digit number there instead of a three digit makes me absolutely giddy. With two more days till pay day, where the next paycheck will bring me above ground enough to make minimum payments on those two pesky credit cards, I still have less than a hundred dollars of debt owed to the bank. I'm floored.

If anyone ever needs proof that conservative principals work, this is it. Cut spending, tighten your belt, and bring in more income. THAT is how you create wealth and prosper in a Capitalist society. Hear that Barack? I HAVE EVIDENCE THAT PROVES YOU WRONG! Suck it!

No comments:

Post a Comment